Monday, May 31, 2021

Memorial Day— About Others

Years ago, the Salvation Army was holding an international convention and their founder, Gen. William Booth, could not attend because of physical weakness.  He cabled his convention message to them.  It was one word: “OTHERS.”


Lord, help me to live from day to day

In such a self-forgetful way

That even when I kneel to pray

My prayer shall be for others.

 

Help me in all the work I do

To ever be sincere and true

And know that all I’d do for you

Must needs be done for others.

 

Let “self” be crucified and slain

And buried deep, and all in vain

May efforts be to rise again

Unless to live for others.

 

And when my work on earth is done

And my new work in heaven’s begun

May I forget the crown I’ve won

While thinking still of others.

 

Others, Lord, yes, others

Let this my motto be,

Help me to live for others

That I may live like Thee.


As Americans, Memorial Day is an opportunity to remember those brave U.S. Armed Forces service members who sacrifices their lives defending our country.  Jesus once said, “There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends [others].” (John 15:13)

Our service men and women have been willing to do that very thing since the founding of our nation.  In the Civil War, 365,000 Northern soldiers were killed, and 133,000 soldiers from the South died.  In World War I, 116,700 American soldiers died.  In World War II, 439,000 American soldiers died.  54,200 American soldiers died in Korea, 58,000 died in Vietnam, 363 died during Desert Storm, and nearly 7,000 American Soldiers have died in the Global War on Terrorism (in Iraq and Afghanistan).

If you’re alive and breathing free, take a moment to pause, remember, and give thanks for the ‘others’ who laid down their lives on the altar of liberty.

 

Rev. Dr. Kenneth L. Beale, Jr.
Chaplain (Colonel-Ret), U.S. Army
Pastor, Ft. Snelling Memorial Chapel

No comments:

Post a Comment