Monday, November 7, 2016

Could This Election Be a “Point of No Return”?


With tomorrow being Election Day (November 8), I thought I’d share these recent words by Dr. James Dobson who issued the following statement:
“Every four years, when Americans head to the polls to choose our next president, it’s easy, and frankly common, to label each election as ‘the most important in our lifetime.’  However, given the unprecedented nature of this current presidential contest, that statement is finally proven true.  Each candidate proposes radically divergent visions for the future of our country, making 2016 a great turning point in the history of America.  What hangs in the balance is not only who will occupy the White House, but the many down-ballot candidates and initiatives, our constitutional right to religious liberty, the sanctity of human life, the meaning of marriage and the composition and nature of our entire judiciary. This election could represent a point of no return for many of the issues Americans hold dear.  As Christians, we cannot and must not leave the future of our country to chance.  I beg you, the American voter, to go to the polls on November 8th and make your voice heard.  The fate of the country depends on it.”

Let me add my words about voting at this general election:
First of all, not voting is not an option.  Every U.S. citizen has a civic duty and every American Christian a moral obligation to vote.  I devoted 25-years of my life in the U.S. Army with other comrades-in-arms to preserve (among other things) the freedom of law-abiding citizens to vote in every election.
Secondly, every Christian should vote in accordance with a biblical worldview.  The GOP Platform is by far the closest to the Judeo-Christian scriptural principles.  The DNC platform is to the contrary. 
Thirdly, we are faced with two flawed major party candidates.  Neither one of them is my preference.  In a one word description of each candidate, I see Trump as “crude” and Clinton as “criminal.” 

I agree with my preferred candidate (Ted Cruz) that we vote our conscience.  For me, that’s much more than what I do in the voting booth.  My conscientious vote doesn’t end with casting a vote on November 8th; in fact, it’s only the beginning.  On November 9th, will my vote result in protecting the rights of the unborn; providing for the security of America’s sovereignty; guard my right to self-defense and our national defense through renewed military strength; protect my religious liberty; provide for economic prosperity; determine the direction of the courts for decades to come; etc., etc.?

If a ‘write-in’ is your fulfillment of voting with integrity, then understand it will do nothing for the long-term vote for ‘conscience sake.’   One’s short-term conscientious vote has long-term consequences for this nation.  One needs to think long and pray hard about what it means to vote for ‘conscience sake.’   

Rev. Dr. Kenneth L. Beale, Jr.
Chaplain (Colonel-Ret), U.S. Army
Pastor, Ft. Snelling Memorial Chapel

No comments:

Post a Comment